Tuesday, October 22, 2013

From the archives - the first page of Ananda Bazar Patrika dated 15th Aug 1947



Namita Makhal,
my aunt, who was a teacher in one of the Kolkata's oldest girls' school - Duff School for Girls, which is over 150 years old (initiated by Alexander Duff), saved this piece of paper form the 'Day'.......when she was fourteen.
She handed this to me some months back......uttering..."take care of this, as this is precious and this will always be precious ".

Today when I share this with you all, I am numb as I think about the time and the pain our people went through.

I try to understand the value of that 'new morning' - the one, which is mentioned on this old piece of paper..... but then again....
'that value' is something we will possibly never be able to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment